Tuesday 3 January 2012

New Year New Me? You've got to be kidding?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now that's out of the way I can continue. As a new year begins, so does a new year's resolution. Usually I don't bother, except for saying I'm going to try and lose some weight...
...but that never works so i don't class it as a new year's resolution...

However, as it's 2012, I figured I might give it a go! I've thought long and hard about what to do, and I have come up with what I think is quite a good one. My new year's resolution is to "take a chance"

I don't know what this "chance" is yet, probably to seize any opportunity that comes my way. I won't go to any extremes, as I discovered yesterday talking to a good friend of mine, I will not: Bungy Jump, Sky-Dive, Scube Dive (to be fair I have tried this already and failed epically) or anything to do wih heights. I am terrible with heights. Some I can handle, others I cannot.

But this got me thinking, what would I class as taking a chance or seizing an opportunity? It could be to do with my future career: if someone offers me work experience, I should take that chance to further my career. Or maybe it's with friends: maybe go out with them to do something I wouldn't normally do. Or, and it may sound cheesy, but what about in love? Maybe finally pluck up the courage to tell that special someone how much I care? However all these things require confidence. (which I have a serious lack of)

Near the end of 2011, when I started university, my new year's resolution was apparant. I needed to get myself out there if I even stood a chance of making any friends or stand out. Joining my Drama society was a chance, a pure fluke of a chance. I needed to do something and Drama peaked my interest. Because I took that chance and went for something, I have made a fantastic group of friends, people that I will be friends with probably way after university is over. And (once again, cheesiness alert) it has taught me a lot about myself: that i'm more confident than I thought, that I can get what I want if I relax a bit more AND that putting yourself out there may break your heart at first, but it can lead you to come to conclusions that you wouldn't have seen otherwise. Basically i'm saying that other than joining university, that society has been one of my best decisions I have made.

And hopefully here's to a whole lot more!


H. x

No comments:

Post a Comment