Monday 27 May 2013

Let's not exit through the gift shop...

I'm feeling philosophical...

Maybe it's because I've completely finished for my second year of uni...yeah it's been a while...

But I've been thinking about exits...odd topic but it has some relevance.

I had 2 weeks of work experience, and even though I thought it was a really valuable experience, I found that it was not the career choice I'd like to go in to. So for quite a while, I was looking for a way out, or at least looking forward to the end of the day, week, the entire work experience.

I make it sound like the worst place to work, it wasn't. It was just me, I found what my calling is...I hope.

So it got me thinking, everywhere I looked, there were exits everywhere...and I mean everywhere!!

At the train station, a fire exit...a front door...a hug...anything!

Yes, it's going to be that kind of post, if you don't want to read it, feel free to leave, but if you do carry on reading, no piss-taking. This is all mine, you don't like it, deal with it.

This sounds like me going on about some weird stuff, and I don't blame you in thinking that reading this would just mess with your head. But it has a point...honest! What I mean is, if we feel like we need to escape from something, we can turn anything into an exit.

A classic example, cheesy as usual, but I am stressed...a lot...so an easy escape for me is a hug with someone I care a lot about. Whereas a conventional exit would be me, waiting at the station for my train to work experience, and wanting to walk out the same way I came in. However, I am not a quitter, so I sat where I was and waited for my train.

Whatever your situation, whatever your mood, anything can be an exit, an escape, from reality. A good book, a movie, a phone call, an actual door (who'd have thought it?)

But sometimes you need to to ignore those giant exit signs and stay exactly where you are. You have no idea what you may miss if you leave too early. I know that if I had left early, from university, I would have made the biggest mistake of my life. I would have never met the people I know so well today, had experiences I would never have anywhere else....etc etc.

Overall, sometimes having that little secret escape route (or escape rope for my Pokemon fans) is a fantastic resource, and if you have it, never let it go. But only use it if it's the last thing you can do. The amount of times I've taken an exit and missed out on an amazing opportunity, I can't even count it on my fingers anymore, and it's stupid, because it is all my fault, no-one else to blame.

But the times, when I've ignored that little flashing exit sign in my head and stayed where I am have given me some life-changing experiences, advice and more I could have ever hoped for.

Oh, it's just been one of those weeks....

Live Long and Prosper

H. x



and p.s. I'm making good headway on that list from my last post...

No comments:

Post a Comment